Saturday, May 18, 2013

THIS Is News?

Wow!  There has been so much stuff going on in the world, I can't keep it all straight.  From bombings, new electronics, government changes, trials and verdicts, murders, sheep glowing green, sports, and sexual preferences.  Umm, you may be wondering what in the heck does sexual preferences have to do with news, and that's exactly the question I've been asking myself?
 
 
It seems like anymore in order to get yourself out there in the media, all one has to do is say he/she is gay, and WHAM-O, the media trail is on fire!  Why is a person's sexual preference news worthy?  Why should anyone care, one way or the other, whether a person is gay or not?  To me, what should be news worthy is a person who found a cure for cancer (which I believe whole-heartedly there is, just not economically beneficial to administer), or a person who has found a way to save our rain forests, or animals who are on the endangered species list, etc.  That's news folks, not someone who finally decided to come out of the closet for whatever personal reasons they deemed necessary!
 
 
 
I don't give a damn what color a person is, what lifestyle they are living, how much money they got, etc.  It doesn't have a thing to do with me personally so why should anyone care?  Recently, we've learned the first NBA athlete admitted he is gay.  Umm, really?  The blogs lit up, the tweets went flying, facebook's walls were cluttered all because this man came "out of the closet" so to speak.  Ok, and?  I mean is it just me, but why the hell does anyone care, and why does the media find it necessary to exploit this individual's personal business.  It's obvious to me he gave this much thought, and, truth be told, this athlete may be the first to come out in a professional sport, but I guarantee you, he's not the only one who was living a lie!
 
 
What I think most intrigues people is the fact that he actually admitted it.  Ok, and?  Again, I don't see why everyone is up-in-arms over the news?  He came out and he feels better about himself for having spoken aloud.  Good for him.  I wish him the best and hope his life goes well.  Now his ex-fiancee received a lucrative book deal to tell her story.  Ok, what story?  I mean. . .I don't get it, what is she going to say that we don't already know?  After all, people are so quick to put their life out in the forefront and then get highly upset when the world judges them.  Well, when you put your life out there, that's exactly what people are going to do.  So, I ask what is she going to tell us?  She was in an eight year relationship with a man who was living a lie.  He finally told her, the world, and called the wedding off.  End of story--period.  What more do we need to know?  I find this all rather suspect. 
 
 
 
Are famous people coming out to reveal their true sexual preferences for publicity sake?  What are we supposed to do or how are we to feel about it?  Does it really matter?  No, that's my whole point.  I know there are many states changing their laws to allow same-sex marriages, and that's all well and good, but what I get from this whole thing is homosexuals want acceptance, and unfortunately, that's where many people refuse to bend.  No matter how many laws are made, it's not going to make people who have a hatred toward individuals who differ from them, change their minds. 
 
 
I don't believe in hating anyone who differs from me.  It's not in my nature and it never will be.  But unfortunately, there are several people who will not change their views on the gay rights issue.  So it makes you wonder, why in God's name would anyone gay want the world to know they are?  Because it's their right, and it's their choice, and others should respect it, but we know people won't.  No more than a racist will accept me because I'm a woman of color, there are ignorant people who refuse to accept a gay person just because they are one.
 
 
Does this mean when people come forward and admit they're gay, the media has to jump on the band wagon?  Again, no!  I don't get that at all.  The media needs to concentrate on matters in the world that are news worthy, as I listed some important ones above.  I don't care who a person is sleeping with, as long as what that individual is doing doesn't filter into my life, it doesn't really matter.  If everyone took the attitude I have, we could possibly concentrate our efforts on more pressing matters, like the health care issue, joblessness, making tougher laws on people committing mass murders, etc. 
 
 
Can we please get back to stories that are worth noting?
 
 
 
 
 
Kimberly Ranee Hicks, Author/Poet
 
Let's Get Some EYEwitness News!