Sunday, April 10, 2011

DOING TIME. . .

HELLO FANS:

Many of you probably read the title of this post and wondered, is Kim doing time?  And the answer is yes, as every other person gracing the planet.  There are many common grounds that we as humans share, but one of the main key elements is time.  Everyone is given time, but what is important to remember is how you spend your time!

For most indie authors, time is something we must spend to either pay our bills, or to get our points across, much like I'm doing right now.  Do you find yourself suffering from S.M.O. (better known as Social Media Overload)?  Does your heart feel like it's about to bust out of your chest because you have so much to do, and so little time doing it?  Does your brain feel like it's going to explode, if you read one more blog that is providing information, or join one more social media outlet to promote and market yourself?

Well, folks, if you're like me, you're experiencing all of the above, and today I want to focus on getting our time in order and figuring out what we need to do to stay the writing course, and still find time to do all the other things we enjoy in life. 

Most indie authors work a 9 to 5 job, and I'm no different.  You set your alarm clock, go to sleep, and it seems like as soon as your head hits the pillow, an annoying beep! beep! beep! or your favorite iTunes song is blasting throughout your bedroom, and you stretch your unwilling arm to stop the noise and you say to yourself, is it that time already?  Your feet hit the floor, and it's time for the daily grind.

Now you're fighting rush hour traffic, and stressing to get to the office, or wherever you're working, punch a clock or use some electronic device to show you made it to work on time, and go on about your day.  When you think about all the time you put in to your 9 to 5, which pays your bills, you, as an indie author, must put that same dedication into your side business, which is writing

Just as hard as you work at your occupation, career or job, you must put that same time into your writing.  Think of the time you waste a day.  And don't tell me you don't waste time, because that's another human element we all share.  Everyone has that space of time in which we are doing absolutely nothing, and when you start to add up how much of that time you waste, you could be using it to better serve your goals, which is completing that novel.

So your homework assignment is a simple and basic one.  I want each of you to think about the time you waste.  Once you figure that out, you need to put a plan into action.  Please read the article I attached in this post under time.  When I tell people I don't have time to waste, that's not a joke!  I truly don't have that kind of time.  When I start working seriously on my novels, this is how grueling my schedule works~~I go to work and put in 8 hours, I go home, I do my yoga to put me in a well-balanced mood and clears my mind of the day's events, so that I'm able to create.  I then spend about an hour on my social media sites, check e-mails, make phone calls, etc., and then I commit to four hours every evening to writing.  Yes, I don't go to bed until late, but this is my schedule which works for me. 

When the weekend rolls around, which is a godsend for any indie author, I write for 8 hours, much like I would work when I'm on the job.  My family knows I'm in writing mode, and do not interrupt me, and I write, write, and write some more.  After that, I watch a good movie, to ease my mind, and spend a few hours with my family.  And I work that schedule until my novel is finished.  There are no ands, ifs, or buts about it.  I don't watch television, not that there's much for me to see, and the programs I do like, I tape them and watch when I'm in relax mode.

But, you get my point.  Again, this is the schedule I set for myself, and this schedule may not work for you.  However, you must find a schedule and stick with it.  Like I told you before, giving up is never an option for any writer, for if you give up, you are not a writer!  I will repeat, if you give up and quit, you are not a writer.  Real writers use every single space and time they are granted, and that's exactly what you must do.

In closing, remember, if writing is a passion of yours and you are very serious about it, then you need to treat it as such, and respect the writing craft.  No one said it was going to be easy, but anything worth having never is.  And truth be told, I wouldn't want it to be that easy.  For every experience I go through in my writing career, makes me a stronger and better writer, and I am thankful for my gift, and more importantly, I respect the power of words!

So, how do you spend your time?  Good Luck, future and fellow authors!  I hope this helps!  I'll be talking with you next week.  Peace, love and write, write, write!

Author of Mello & June and Silent Knight
Kimberly Ranee Hicks, Author/Poet