Sunday, October 26, 2014

Here's a Story. . .


Hello All,

I pray this post finds you well and in good spirits.  I apologize for not having a post for you yesterday, but I was busy with other things.  With that being said, my thoughts will be short and sweet and to the point!

There's no secret that my favorite holiday is Halloween.  It amazes me when someone asks which is my favorite holiday and I respond 'Halloween,' I'm immediately met with resistance and a sideways glance.   Then I get the comments, "I don't celebrate the devil's holiday!" And then more sideways glances come my way.

What I find most interesting about that is most people do not know the origin of Halloween, what it 'truly' means and how the holiday has transformed throughout the centuries.  I will spare you all the detail of the holiday for if a person really wanted to know what it's about, one would only need to slide their fingers over their keyboard and Google it, like most do for anything else.  And what you'll learn when you find the countless pages of Halloween folklore and all its mystery and wonderment is that Halloween is NOT the devil's holiday!  

Those of us who enjoy the holiday and celebrate it the way Americans have for many, many years are not doing anything wrong.  In fact, Halloween should be embraced and encouraged for its true identity was made to honor dead ancestors.  For those of you naysayers that think there's something sinister in celebrating the honor of your deceased loved ones, then perhaps that's your problem and not those of us who actually enjoy the celebration.  Either way, you're always going to have those people that give you that are-you-nuts-for-loving-Halloween look.  

I've learned to ignore the ignorant!  If you want to judge me for loving a holiday that has always been fun and loving for me, then judge away.  Your judgment isn't going to stop me from enjoying the holiday.  Some of you do more devilment over the course of a year than most can even dream up of doing on one day of Halloween.  So let's agree to disagree!  I know the true story of Halloween and its meaning, and as long as I know that, I'm good.  

So with that, for those of you who love the holiday as I do, have a safe, pleasant, and fun Halloween!

Join us next weekend when AAMBC will be in the house!  Until then, happy reading!



Kimberly Ranee Hicks, Author/Poet/Reviewer

Don't Believe Everything you Hear. . .
YOU Owe it to Yourself to Learn the Facts!