Thursday, April 14, 2016

#BOOK #REVIEW: Silent Twin

SYNOPSIS:

I’m alone in the dark, please can you find me …

Nine-year-old twins Abigail and Olivia vow never to be parted. But when Abigail goes missing from Blackwater Farm, DC Jennifer Knight must find her before it’s too late. 

Twin sister Olivia has been mute since Abigail’s disappearance. But when she whispers in Jennifer’s ear, Jennifer realises it is Abigail’s voice pleading to be found. 

A damp and decaying house set in acres of desolate scrubland, the farm is a place of secrets, old and new – and Jennifer must unravel them all in order to find the lost girl. But could Olivia’s bond with her twin hold the key to finding Abigail? And can Jennifer break through her silence in time to save her sister’s life? 

A darkly gripping, page-turning thriller that will enthrall fans of Rachel Abbott, Alex Marwood’s The Wicked Girls and Mark Edwards. 

Praise for Caroline Mitchell:

‘Fan-bloody-tastic! I enjoyed this book so much that I forced myself to read slowly as I just could not bear for it to end… I thought the story was brilliant. The characters were creative and kept me hooked. ‘The twists and turns kept me gasping for more… Could not recommend this book any more highly!’ Crime Book Junkie 

‘This is a well written supernatural detective story, with a surprising twist that I guarantee will keep you glued to the last page… at times I couldn’t turn the pages quickly enough, it’s atmospheric, gritty and at times just plain scary, and what a twist at the end.’ The Book Review CafĂ© 

‘With a brilliant cast of crime characters, and a plot that was enough to make me feel dizzy, this was a compelling book that I just couldn't get enough of. Every word, every page, every murder, every guess... I couldn't wait for the final piece of the jigsaw to fit into place… the word 'thrilling' just doesn't do this justice.’ Becca’s Books.


M & J’s Review:

Twins have always been a fascinating mystery. And what better way to amplify it by writing a story about them. Hollywood and authors usually make twins out to be there’s one who is good and one not so good, but this author takes the reader on a different journey.

Abigail and Olivia are identical twins. They do everything together, except when Abigail goes missing, Olivia disappears within herself. Sure, Olivia is still with her parents, but she is silenced when something horrible has happened to her twin, Abigail. Who on earth would want to harm a child is what DC Jennifer Knight wants to know? The twins’ parents, Joanna and Nick, are beside themselves with grief and mental anguish. It’s one thing for the twins to be playing hide and seek, but for one of their precious daughters not to return from the game is a whole other ball of wax.

At first glance, one would find Joanna, the mother, a bit weird. She goes against everything the police have asked her not to do, which, I might add, doesn’t help that her husband is also a police officer, as she smiles sweetly for the camera speaking fondly of her daughter’s disappearance. Not only does she go on live television and display this odd behavior, but she gives away clues to the general public, which is precisely the reason the police asked the parents not to speak to the media unless they prompted them to. Nick, who also carries a badge and is usually the one on the other side of the fence, is now having to put down that shield and deal with his daughter’s disappearance from a parent’s point of view. How many times had Nick spoken to parents about how they were to act and behave when their child went missing? As Nick found out, it’s easy to give advice to parents when you’re not the parent having to deal with a missing child. He became withdrawn, haggard and extremely moody through the whole ordeal.

And poor little nine-year-old Olivia who is the spitting image of her missing sister cannot tell her parents anything for she has become mute since Abigail went away. What happened to Abigail? Does Olivia hold the key to her own sister’s disappearance? This is what everyone wants to know, and it becomes painfully clear that the players in this story know a hell of a lot more than any of them were willing to say.

The story is very well written, but unfortunately, the one thing that drove me absolutely insane was that it was too much of a mystery. In case you don’t understand what I mean, let me try to explain. In most mysteries I’ve read, the author usually leaves a trail of crumbs for the reader to indulge upon. Hence, that’s the main ingredient for a mystery. And in most cases, those little crumbs add up as you go through the story. The scent was strong, and as soon as you reach out to grab what you think is going to be the prize, suddenly it’s like someone snatched several pieces away leaving you famished. In other words, I felt as if the secrets in the story were dragging on far too long and more clues could have been given instead of making you wait. For me, that was extremely frustrating. 

However, having said that, it left me so famished I couldn’t put the book down and kept me turning the pages, which of course, is what the author wants us to do, and I’d say Mitchell did a great job keeping me hooked. Even though she may have held her reader to the page a little longer than I would like to linger, it doesn’t detract from the story. It’s a very dark psychological thriller with interesting characters. I did figure out who the culprit was, but it took me some time to get there, due to Mitchell’s tricky use of mystery. (chuckle). She did an exceptional job in her description of Blackwater Farm—made the hair on the back of my neck stand to attention. This is a fast-paced read and one that I’m certain mystery/suspense readers will most definitely enjoy. I know I certainly did. 

Mello & June gives Silent Twin four stars. I wasn’t aware this was the third installment in the DC Jennifer Knight series. I’m most definitely going to check out the first two to learn more about Knight. I truly loved her character. She’s sassy, classy, smart, a girly girl and witty. I love those qualities in a strong female character. She’s always a lady, but doesn’t take any bullshit and looks good while handling her business. That’s what I’m talking about! Well Done, Caroline Mitchell.


Kimberly Ranee Hicks, Author/Poet/Reviewer

Twins Have More Fun!