Friday, April 22, 2016

#Purple #Passion

Greetings, Intellectual Minds!


I come to you with a heavy heart as most of the world is mourning the loss of our great Purple One, Prince!  We aren't any different here at Mello & June.  We are going through it you hear me!  Another great gone too damn soon.  OMG, what the hell is going on?

The first time I saw Prince was back in the mid-70s when he appeared on Saturday Night Live as the musical guest.  I was awe-struck because at that time, my family had no idea what a "Prince" was.  Who was this little person in a blue bikini bottom rocking high heel boots? Is it a man or a woman? Hmmm, this person was gorgeous with those bedroom eyes and petite frame singing in the key of falsetto one minute and deeper the next.  Hair long and flowing.  Eyeliner defining his pretty peepers.  My mom was like it looks like a man, but it sounds like a woman?  Again, my family didn't know what to think when we first saw Prince.

Eventually, we figured out he was a man.  He was weird and eccentric and appeared to have a style all of his own.  I fell in love that night and never stopped loving Prince.  When Purple Rain came out, my girlfriends and I went to the movies and when I say you would have thought we were in a live concert, we cut the damn fool.  Every time Prince came on the screen, we screamed.  Needless to say, the theater manager asked us to please refrain from screaming and losing our damn minds, but we were teens.  Was this manager serious?  I looked at him and said with much spunk and vigor, "Sir, it's Prince!"  He shook his head and walked back down the aisle.  The few adults that tried to watch the movie moved to another section because WE refused to stop screaming.  Oh the fond memories.  We made a day of it and watched Purple Rain 8 times.

I have a nice collection of Prince's music, but certainly not all of it.  I'd love to be able to have all his music one day like the many years it took me to finally own all of Marvin Gaye's music, who happens to be my all-time favorite male singer.   Two greats, gone!

There aren't many entertainers I actually shed tears for, but those that come to mind would be, Marvin Gaye, Gerald Levert, Luther Van Dross, Whitney Houston and now Prince. My heart hurts so badly, I swear I'm related to these artists. It hurts like I lost a relative. Oh my, please God help mend my broken heart.  Why oh Why did Prince have to go so soon?  I was numb when I learned of the news.  Hell, I was shocked and in a bit of denial. I still don't want to believe he's really deceased. I keep thinking perhaps this was another Twitter death sighting that has gone horribly wrong, but Prince is really gone.  Damn! Damn! Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I'm sorry I had to interrupt our regular scheduled blog post with my pain, but I know my readers feel where I'm coming from. I had to say something. I'm tired of holding my grief in. And I know I do not stand alone. There are billions of people on this planet feeling exactly how I feel. 

Prince, I wore purple for you today.  I know we never met, but I feel as though we have--through your beautiful music.  I've felt your soul and still feel it every time I hear one of your songs.  You were a huge part of my musical inspiration and the world is feeling your loss. There will never be another you in my lifetime--NEVER!  Thank you for the memories and the music.  When you receive your purple wings, you rock 'em in Heaven.  I've heard your concerts were amazing live, and I can imagine the show you're going to perform before the Lord.  May you Rest In Peace.  I miss you and will always love you!  

To pen Whoopi Goldberg's Tweet, "This is what it sounds like When Doves Cry."  Damn!



Kimberly Ranee Hicks, Author/Poet/Reviewer

Prince, Rest In Peace