Saturday, May 14, 2016

#Book #Review . . .This Too Shall Pass


SYNOPSIS

A “literary tsunami” that is taking the world by storm—already sold in over 30 countries—about one unforgettable woman’s search for a meaningful life Blanca is forty years old and motherless. Shaken by the unexpected death of the most important person in her life, she suddenly realizes that she has no idea what her future will look like.

To ease her dizzying grief and confusion, Blanca turns to her dearest friends, her closest family, and a change of scenery. Leaving Barcelona behind, she returns to Cadaqués on the coast, accompanied by her two sons, two ex-husbands, and two best friends, and makes a plan to meet her married lover for a few stolen moments as well. Surrounded by those she loves most, she spends the summer in an impossibly beautiful place, finding ways to reconnect and understand what it means to truly, happily live on her own terms, just as her mother would have wanted.

A fresh, honest, and ruefully funny story about love, sex, marriage, grief, friendship and parenthood, THIS TOO SHALL PASS is an irresistible novel that is fast becoming an international phenomenon.

M & J’s Review

It took me a moment to wrap my head around this story. I didn’t immediately love it nor did I dislike it. Thankfully, this is a very short read, so I didn’t have to ponder on my feelings for too long. 

I think what bothered me most about Blanca is she reminds me of what I may be like when my mother passes. I can’t imagine Blanca’s pain because I haven’t lived it yet, but I damn sure am not ready to embark down that road any time soon. She and her mother were extremely close. Blanca really is floating through life and putting on a show of strength, when in actuality, she’s falling to pieces inside. She’s really lost and while she’s trying to find her way through her painful grief, she begins to slowly discover what is most important to her.

While Blanca may appear somewhat normal to her family and friends, she knows she’s an imposter among the living. To go on holiday with your two ex-husbands, two of your closest friends, and two sons, you know something can’t possibly be right about this scenario—destination coast of Cadaqués. And whom other does she decide to meet up with is her lover of many years. How this woman could keep a straight face is beyond my comprehension, but one thing I’ll say about Blanca, she lived her life as she saw fit regardless as to what her family and friends thought. In fact, her mother encouraged her to be her own woman, so I’m sure her mother was proud.

Unfortunately, for me, I can’t say I share the same enthusiasm as the synopsis suggests. In fact, I found the story to be a little boring. But I appreciated Blanca’s voice while speaking aloud in her mind to her mother. The secrets that only she and her mom held. Her lover, two ex-husbands, friends and children were totally oblivious to this fact. It’s through her thoughts the reader gets to meet her mom and I found that to be very touching and moving. What Blanca was actually experiencing was a grief meltdown, but she isn’t fully aware of it yet, but eventually it all comes together for her in the end. 

Mello & June gives This Too Shall Pass three stars. Busquets writing is brilliant and smooth. Her ease of storytelling opens the reader’s mind. The story is short and one that is light and airy. This isn’t a bad read by any means, it just wasn’t for my tastes. If you have a few hours to spare, this would be a great read to take while traveling on a short road trip or heading to the beach. The book goes on sale Tuesday, May 24, 2016 wherever books are sold. Please pick up a copy. Happy Reading!








Kimberly Ranee Hicks, Author/Poet/Reviewer

Are YOU Insured?