Saturday, June 11, 2016

#Author #Interview. . .The Last Resort. . . #BookBoost


The Last Resort

By Matt Drabble

Genre: Horror, Thriller

The Paradise Resort is the ultimate in exclusive luxury island resorts, a private haven for only those deemed worthy enough to attend. 

Landon Verger is a titan of industry and the founder of Paradise. The resort’s opening weekend should have been a celebration of wealth and excess, but without warning, it has gone silent.

Sam Verger knows his father only too well; the great man casts a long and dark shadow. He also knows that Landon Verger’s enemy list is long and varied, any one of which would love to see his father dead. Sam seeks to employ a professional to investigate the island, and Mac is one such woman.

An ex-military officer, she works dirty jobs and doesn't ask questions if the money's right. With her like-minded team, they travel to Paradise. Mac thought she’d seen everything that death had to offer, but she was wrong. What started out as a simple mission will quickly become the most desperate fight for survival she’s ever faced. There’s only one thing that she’s sure of: not everyone is getting out alive.


Author Bio:

Born in Bath, England in 1974, a self-professed "funny onion", equal parts sport loving jock and comic book geek. I am a lover of horror and character driven stories. I am also an A.S sufferer who took to writing full time two years ago after being forced to give up the day job. 

I have a career high position of 5th on Amazon's Horror Author Rank of which I am immensely proud. I was also been accepted as a full member of the Horror Writers Association.

"GATED" is the 2015 Readers Favorite Gold Medal Winner. It is also a UK & US Horror Chart Top Ten Best Seller & winner of the Full Moon Awards 2014 Horror Book of the Year.

"ASYLUM - 13 TALES OF TERROR" is a US Horror Chart #5 It was also voted #5 on The Horror Novel Review's Top 10 Books of 2013 & is a Readers Favorite 2014 Gold Medal Winner. 

Both "THE TRAVELLING MAN" and "ABRA-CADAVER" won Indie Book of the Day awards while "ABRA-CADAVER" is also a 2015 Kindle Book Review Finalist.



Taking Time with Author, Matt Drabble

1. What inspired you to become a horror writer?

I always think that the horror genre gets a bad rap within the industry. You really have to develop a strong three dimensional character for the reader to care about before you place them in peril. I find that the horror genre is one of the literary places where you have to create characters and worlds that are deep in detail and rich in emotion. Also I enjoy the fact there are very few limitations when it comes to a writer’s imagination as there are no rules. 

2. Can you tell us which horror films made the hair on the back of your neck stand to attention?

I have always been a fan of what you don’t see on screen rather than what you do. One of the earliest horror films that I watched was The Fog. It still stands up today as an example of a slow creeping fear that requires the viewer to invest rather than be shocked by gratuitous gore or CGI effects.

3. How long have you been writing horror fiction?

I am coming up to my 4th anniversary of writing full time but I have always dabbled since my youth with short stories and fan fiction.

4. How do you prepare mentally for delving into such a macabre existence?

I never find my work to be dark (although some readers might disagree) I try and write fully developed characters that undoubtedly have dark times but most of the time come out the other side, a little battered and bruised but largely in one piece. Hopefully readers find a lot of hope in my work and a lot of strong characters.

5. Can you tell us what we can expect from The Last Resort?

Hopefully an enjoyable fast paced thrill ride. From very early on in my writing career I found quite by chance that I tend to gravitate towards writing strong female leads and this book is no different. I am a huge fan of the anti-hero and the woman leading a team of mercenaries in this novel is one of my toughest creations. I always try (and hopefully succeed) in staying away from stereotypes when it comes to my characters and I hope I show their weaknesses as well as their strengths. Nothing is worse in a book or a movie than a flawless character who you never feel is in any real danger. I always try and show that nobodies’ perfect male or female. I need my readers to feel that everyone is in peril at all times and that no one character should be the both the brightest & the toughest in any one room at any one time. My female leads are always flawed heroes or villains. 

6. Do you believe in ghosts or things that go bump in the night?

I inserted an introductory piece in my first collection of short stories “After Darkness Falls” It was about a very strong childhood memory from when I was just a toddler. A very clear recollection about jumping from the top of my stairs and floating all the way down like someone was carrying me. It was a fun game that my brother and I played and I think it is too strong and clear in its details to have been a dream. Also though in the same house I used to have horrific nightmares about a childhood teddy bear that used to move and a wardrobe that used to slam by itself before I went up the stairs to be at night. 

7. What did you find most challenging with The Last Resort?

I did find that setting the story on a small island did throw up some story problems as far as locations went. The world I created was a little small with a finite space for the characters to move around in.

8. Not sure about you, but for me, when I finish a novel and it’s ready for publishing, I usually read the book from cover to cover to get a sense of what my reader will feel when reading it. It’s almost like an out-of-body experience. It is also the time I wish I had rewritten some scenes differently, etc. Do you find fault with your finished work?

Always. One of the best pieces of advice I ever heard was when you’ve finished writing a book stick it in a drawer and leave it for a couple of weeks. I send mine out to be proofed and by the time it comes back to me enough time has passed so that I feel like I’m getting a fresh look again. I also send my work out to beta testers before it’s launched to see what works and what hasn’t. I’ve found that I’m not a very good judge of my own work. What I’ve loved hasn’t done so well and what I’ve thought wasn’t great went on to be my best selling. 

9. What professional literary affiliations are you associated?

I was recently accepted as a full member of the Horror Writer’s Association, to date it’s the only one that I’ve approached.

10. For all those aspiring authors out there, what one piece of advice can you offer them to help them with their journey?

Get a thick skin! Remember some people are not going to like your work no matter what you write or how you write it.

11. If we accompanied you to the library, what genre would we find you perusing?

I always enjoy a good biography if the subject is interesting and most importantly honest.

12. How would you feel if Hollywood approached you about turning The Last Resort into a motion picture, but decide to change its adaptation from the story you originally wrote?

I don’t think that I could afford to be too choosy at present. If someone wanted to take a chance on my work then I would say good luck to them. I have had approaches before which were all very exciting at the time, but at present nothing has come of them which is always a letdown. The industry throws up approaches at times that come out of the blue but now I consider them pretty meaningless unless a contract is signed.



Brought to You By:








Kimberly Ranee Hicks, Author/Poet/Reviewer