Sunday, July 3, 2016

#Book #Review. . .The Hatching. . .#BookBoost #SundayBlog



About the Book

“An apocalyptic extravaganza of doom and heroism…addictive.” —Publishers Weekly

“It’s been too long since someone reminded us that spiders are not just to be feared, but also may well spell doom for mankind. Fortunately, Ezekiel Boone has upped the ante on arachnophobia. This is a fresh take on classic horror, thoroughly enjoyable and guaranteed to leave your skin crawling.” —Michael Koryta, New York Times bestselling author of Those Who Wish Me Dead

An astonishingly inventive and terrifying debut novel about the emergence of an ancient species, dormant for over a thousand years, and now on the march.

Deep in the jungle of Peru, where so much remains unknown, a black, skittering mass devours an American tourist whole. Thousands of miles away, an FBI agent investigates a fatal plane crash in Minneapolis and makes a gruesome discovery. Unusual seismic patterns register in a Kanpur, India earthquake lab, confounding the scientists there. During the same week, the Chinese government “accidentally” drops a nuclear bomb in an isolated region of its own country. As these incidents begin to sweep the globe, a mysterious package from South America arrives at a Washington, D.C. laboratory. Something wants out.

The world is on the brink of an apocalyptic disaster. An ancient species, long dormant, is now very much awake.




I have never been a fan of insects. In fact, the very thought of them makes my skin crawl, much like the creepy crawlers in this terrifying horror story.  The entire time I was reading this story, I kept feeling things crawling on my skin and beneath the surface. Hmm, makes me itch just thinking about it.

It seems like anytime terrible things begin to happen in the world, luckily, they usually take place somewhere other than the United States.  But it's also interesting how eventually the U.S. gets involved somehow. President Stephanie Pilgrim had her hands full trying to keep America from a full on panic, which, not to anyone's surprise, she was unsuccessful in achieving. Some spectators described what they saw as a black river wave of shear madness. One minute you'd see a person flailing their arms and screaming while clutching their face and the next that individual was swallowed whole by the body of black water.  But, uh-oh, was that water?  

The answer would be no.  There wasn't a black river, but a black mass of spiders growing in alarming speed taking over our planet as we know it.  President Pilgrim grounded all flights, but my thoughts were, the skies were the most friendly place to be.  And to further bring home the point, where on earth do you go when the earth is a collection of the eight-legged creatures.  What was on the mind of billions is what on earth caused these ten thousand year old spiders to hatch and better yet, how in the hell do we kill them?  And did you know there are 35,000 species of spiders?  Eeew, Yuk!
What terrified the hell out of me is the fact that from what I know about spiders, they are normally loners who tend to stay to themselves--they just happen to scare the average person to death because they aren't the most beautiful creatures to look at and they move at such a speed, it's hard to kill them, which is why I like to keep a good ole can of Raid handy that can shoot from across the room so that I never have to get up close and personal. LOL. Unfortunately, Raid, insecticide, fire, water, etc. didn't seem to do much to deter our eight-legged horrors from reproducing. Spider sacs were popping up all over the world and completely took over California and working their way to the East coast.  

This was a terrifying book.  Too bad it came out now and not October, but no worries, this is going to be one of those stories we'll most likely see at the movies keeping moviegoers squirming and shrieking for all their worth.  At least I'd like to see this story turned into a movie.  It would be awesome.  My only problem with the story would be the ending. The ending wasn't bad, but it wasn't quite what I was expecting. This story builds you up with each chapter, you are nearly on the edge of your seat waiting to find out what caused this to happen, and for me, the explanation wasn't good enough.  I guess after going through the itchy skin and jumping at the slightest sound, I expected to be blown away by the ending, and I guess you could say I was, but just fell a little flat to me.  I really wish the ending would have had as much gusto as the entire story as a whole, but again, that's not to say I didn't enjoy it.  Boone wrote the hell out of this book.  The characters are so real and the situations each of them find themselves in is incredible.  I don't ever want this story to come true by any means.  Oooh no!  Case in point, I'm a huge fan of Dinosaurs and all that Hollywood has done with their story, and more importantly, that they're dead, but I don't want to see one up close and personal.  I'll stick with Jurassic Park the movie.  Which is what I wish for this book to become a mega movie.  Trust me, fans would be flocking to see the visual of this story.

Mello & June gives The Hatching five stars plus eight legs. What an incredible story. I still can't sit still without scratching and my peripheral vision is playing all kinds of tricks on me making me see things crawling that aren't really there, or are they? Hmm, I'll be keeping that can of Raid handy. Outstanding read and one I'm sure my readers will enjoy. But, reader beware, if you are of the squeamish variety and definitely terrified of spiders, you may have to grab some liquid courage to get through this story. LOL

The Hatching goes on sale, Tuesday, July 5, 2016.  

Happy reading, Intellectual Minds!





Kimberly Ranee Hicks, Author/Poet/Reviewer

'Christmas in July' Starts July 5, 2016
Click Photo on Side of Blog!  Don't Miss Out!